A last wishes document is how you can tell your loved ones what you want done after you die, from a cremation service to a funeral at a funeral home in Hampshire, TN.
Your last wishes are your requests for what you want done after you die, generally regarding funeral or memorial arrangements and final disposition. However, some people also choose to include what they want for the time leading up to their death as well, like who they want to see, if they want to pass at home or at a care facility, or even what they want their surroundings to be like. It’s always best to tell your loved ones about these wishes in addition to writing them down. That way you can make sure they understand what you want, and they can ask any questions they may have.
Here are some common last wishes questions and their answers to give you more information on these important documents:
- Are last wishes the same as a will? – Last wishes are not wills. Wills are legal documents that deal with your estate, belonging, or finances, while last wishes are non-legal documents that deal with the funeral or service arrangements. It also does not make sense to include your last wishes in your will as the will is generally read after the funeral, thereby making your last wishes useless.
- Is a last wishes document the same as an advance directive? – Advanced directives are legal documents that details someone’s wishes when they are terminally ill. Last wishes are not legally binding and deal more with how you would like to be remembered, what you would like to say to your loved ones, and other practical things.
- How do you make a last wishes document? – You don’t need to do anything fancy to write down your last wishes. The document should include your name, the details you want your loved ones to know, and who you want to tell them to. It can be a few sentences or several pages, typed and printed, or just written down in a notebook. Just be sure it’s kept in a safe place and that the people it addresses know about it and where it is.
- Are last wishes legally binding? – Last wishes documents are not legally binding, but most family members or loved ones at least feel morally obligated to see your wishes done.
- What should you include in a last wishes document? – Your last wishes can include anything you want, including funeral or cremation preferences and plans, body disposition preferences, obituary information, messages to your loved ones, requests for your final days, and personal information like where your will is.
Williams Funeral Home & Crematory is here to help if you want to learn more about last wishes or funeral home in Hampshire, TN. Call or visit us today for more information. After all, everyone dies eventually, so, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, it’s a good idea to be as prepared for the eventuality as possible.